Fibromyalgia and Dental Pain: Biting off more than I can chew

“If your teeth are clenched and your fists are clenched, your lifespan is probably clenched”, Adabella Radici sams-teeth

Look at a child’s lovely teeth and then hopefully we can see that those of us who clench ours instead of laughing with joy, showing toothy grins, will be prone to pain in the jaws and teeth!To-day I experienced my first tooth ache. It happened out of the blue, a bottom front tooth that had never been decayed, nor capped. The pain was excruciating and unrelenting. Being 4000 miles away from home, in a small hotel on another coast, the pain was even more disturbing. I quickly searched out a dentist nearby and found an efficient young woman who was very knowledgable and calming. X-rays revealed no abscess, no cavities and the gums were in good condition. She speculated that it might be due to fibromyalgia and I was prescribed Tylenol # 3 for pain.

I consider myself an expert on FMS. I have read, explored, researched and analyzed about this condition as much as most other experts, having lived with it for over 40 years. My book is unique as it presents a theory regarding why it affects primarily women. I have not read anything that even comes close to my argument about women’s vulnerability to FMS. Yet, like most who have this condition and write about living with it, I am intent on what ails me most at the time. I tend to focus on the ‘biggies’, that is, pain, fatigue, depression and sleep disorders. I have been negligent in pointing out the extreme scope of this syndrome instead of showing how we dwell on symptoms that we think have become unique to our own particular set patterns. In fact, these patterns do often shift and rarely are two days alike. This is why to-day I write about tooth pain. It is a new experience in a life time of living with many kinds of pain and in various locations of my body.

I have had a difficult year dealing with elder care of my 90 year-old parents. My resources are depleted. I am exhausted; my reserves are drained; it has been physically and emotionally demanding. I am now feeling the effects of this stress. How could I not know that this condition would rear its ugly fangs (no pun intended) and produce a new form of attack on my tired psyche and body? But, my teeth? Why there? I have had facial pain in the past, shock-like, jabbing pains that were somewhat transient. But, this horrific pain is something new! Aha! The stiff neck, the tight shoulders that are almost up to my ears, carrying the weight of the world on them! This ties in to my belief that women generally do bite off more than they can chew. This is the story I write about in my book…the women who have overstimulated their nervous systems to such an extent that they cannot completely recover.

“Not my teeth”, I find myself groaning. Yes, new trigger points that are caused by clenching jaws and grinding teeth at night, shifting patterns due to overload of my nervous system. All this following a long tiring root canal just a month ago on a molar on the other side of my mouth. The muscles in my jaws became so tight! It begins to fit. Trigger points shift often. Why did I think my teeth would be exempt? Will this last, I wonder? The chronic stress I have experienced this year is not likely to end soon. Will the muscles in my neck and jaws relax and the pain shift to another locale? Just one more question of many in living with the demon of fibromyalgia.

1. Michelle says:

Thank you for writing about this. I have found that I constantly clench my teeth, and I have to literally think about it to stop it. I have TMJ, which the dentist found when I was 16, so I think I was doing it even then. I am 34 now and was diagnosed with FM in 2004. I think that I have had FM since I was at least 12, but I didn’t know it. Looking back I now realize symptoms that I had and only now does it make sense. There is no wonder we are sometimes treated like hypocondriacs when we have so much wrong with us! It is nice to know though that others are going through the same things. I have wondered why I clench my teeth like I do. I feel like my body never shuts down, even when I am asleep. Thank you for this wonderful site of info. It really helps!

2. Barbara Keddy says:

Hi Michelle! Me too!!!! I once wore that apparatus that dentists make for you to wear to keep your teeth from clenching but I kept throwing it out during the night. It didn’t help one bit! Sometimes I wake up with so much pain in my jaws it feels like I have been clenching all night. Like you, I think I have had FMS most of my life and in fact, some of the women in my book feel the same way. In a blog I wrote for the site Fighting Fatigue I wrote my ‘case history’ and said how I believed I developed FMS at a very early age. Also like you, I am constantly ‘on duty’ another concept I developed in the book! Sleep is not an enjoyable experience :-(
    Thanks for your lovely comment.

3. Paulette Parkes says:

Thank you for once more realizing I am not crazy. I have been driving my dentist crazy until I read in your comments that the jaws or the nerves under the teeth can be a new trigger point forthe demon.

Unfortunately I insisted the dentist extract the problem tooth which already had a oot canal on it.

Still got the pain but I will let my dentist know he is not to blame.

Thanks again

4. Barbara Keddy says:

I know what you mean. I had to bring in articles about fibro and dental issues to my own dentist here at home after that younger dentist was able to tell me what the problem was! It can be very exhausting educating so many people, can’t it?
    Thanks for your comments, Paulette!

5. Karen says:

Wow. Finally someone talking teeth! I had a root canal almost three years ago. Two days later I began to have extreme fatigue, faintness, anxiety etc. I have been to doc after doc. I have suspected fibro. all along even before the root canal. I have had chronic back pain and neck pain for years. They kept telling me “hormones” and me turning 40. I am ruling that part out now. Everyone says you’re not crazy but after all these doctors and money spent and different opinions, it’s enough to make you crazy. My ob/gyn I’ve found has informed me of the triggering of fibro from traumatic events. My root canal may have been the icing on the cake. I had been getting more and more nervous and anxious and that’s not me. Just this week I had shooting pains near the root canal. The next day it was on the other side of my mouth. No work done there. I clench my teeth too and have TMJ headaches etc. It’s all beginning to make sense. Glad I found your site. No official diagnosis yet but I have felt in my heart for a long time that’s it.

Karen

6. Barbara Keddy says:

Thanks for your letter Karen! I have reached the stage in my own life where I am almost ho hum when something new springs up. I think”Ok, here we go again. So, I now have a pain in my big toe. Well, at least it isn’t a tooth to-day”. These travelling pains, often dull aches but also often sharp and shock-like still overwhelm me, no matter where they are. TMJ is so common in persons with fibro. My last root canal was awful and I suffered for a long time afterwards. It is terribly invasive and tiring beyond belief to have this done. I wish you well and hope you have a definite diagnosis soon if it is indeed fibro that you are suffering from. Uncertainty is almost worse than the label!Best wishes in 2009! Barbara

7. Sandra says:

I have just had a root canal done for the second time on the same tooth. This has caused a very significant flare
    up. The pain and discomfort is extremely hard to deal with. Any type of pain relief has not been a success.
    I have had Fibro for at least 15 years, and have had many root canals. I also have TMJ. Right at this moment
    I would gladly have the tooth removed, but fear what problem would then arise if I had an implant , or would
    that pain still be there because of the trigger point? The pain in the tooth is worse than the initial abcess. I
    will see my Dentist again on Monday, but at this point really do not know what to do. He is aware of my
    Fibro but will ask about trigger points in the gum area.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

8. Barbara Keddy says:

Dear Sandra: Your story is usual; anything that involves invasions of the body seems to bring on a flare. The last root canal I had resulted in such a long flare up. My sympathies indeed.It has been my experience that most older dentists do not know much about fibro (even many younger ones), but even if they do there isn’t much they can do if they want to practice good dentistry.
    Trigger points are not specifically in the gums but probably the ones in the back of the neck in the occipital area are the most affected. During dentistry staying in one position for a long time with stress to the area (and body in general) contributes to an ovestimulated central nervous ssytem, resulting in pain.
    While dental procedures are being done it is important to stop even more often than dentists allow us to do generally to rest the mouth, take deep breaths, relax the jaw, even to walk around etc. But now that the root canal is over with there isn’t much you can do for the time being except deep breathing, rest, warm packs to the back of the neck if the dentist thinks that is okay, calming exercises and wait for the flare to subside. I wish I had a magic wand or even more helpful advice. The only thing I can say is: this too will pass, flare ups do not last forever. it is what it is for now and slowly the pain will subside.
    My thoughts are with you,
    Best wishes, Barbara

9. Marie says:

Wow, Sandra’s story is my story. Only difference is the Dentist left packing in my tooth thus my tooth remained in some sort of pain from July to Now. Just had the second root canal again and I hurt so bad that if I could pull my tooth out I would. Motrin, Percocet NOTHING is helping. My jaw and gums hurt and it feels like it is pulsating. Glad I found your site.

10. Barbara Keddy says:

Thanks for your comments, Marie. I am continually amazed at how many people with fibromyalgia write about the trauma of a root canal. I personally don’t know if I could tolerate another one myself. But, then the alternative of losing a tooth is not a good idea either. It seems as though we must educate some of our dentists about how difficult it is for those of us with fibromyalgia to go through that process.Going through it twice is agony; I can relate to your pain. Take care of yourself. Regards, Barbara

11. Kathy says:

I’ve had a toothache (the whole right side) since Monday, went to the dentist on Tuesday and was told that everything was fine and she’s not sure why my teeth are killing me. She said there was some wear on my back teeth and thought maybe I was clenching and grinding my teeth. If it doesn’t stop they want to fit me for a mouth guard for sleeping. Then tonight (Friday) it suddenly occurred to me that maybe this was related to my fibro, so I got on the internet to investigate and here I am. I’m so glad I found this site. If this pain doesn’t go away I know she well want to do a root canal and if it’s from my fibro then there is no way I’m letting her do that. I’ve had fibro for 19 years and I’ve never heard of tooth pain as a symptom before. If anyone has any more info please let me hear for you. Thanks to you all. Kathy

12. Barbara Keddy says:

Dear Kathy: It is so interesting to receive the many comments that I do about dental issues. I never dreamed that we would have that particular ‘symptom’ when I first had such difficulties. My last root canal was dreadful and I suffered a terrible flareup afterwards. The procedure was not painful itself and I have a great dentist but it was the after effects! I would never advise anyone to go against their dentists’ advice, but a good rule to follow is to tell your dentist that tooth pain is common in fibro!I use heat to calm those nerves in the jaw, but not too hot as the face is so delicate… just a warm facecloth. Best wishes, Barbara

13. Kim Davis says:

I’ve had pain on and off (mostly on) on the left side of my mouth, for over five years now. I had two perfect teeth removed, at my insistence, because the pain was so bad. I wish I’d known before that this was probably fibro, but I’ve just recently begun to realize that fibro is probably the cause of many of my problems.

You mentioned being “on guard” as a cause for overactivity in the nervous system, and that sent up such a shock of recognition. A stressful, dysfunctional childhood left me feeling permanantly on guard. It’s amazing and upsetting to realize that emotions can be the root of so much physical pain.

After reading your advice about warmth to soothe the pain, I’m off to do that now, since two Darvocet haven’t touched it.

Kim

14. Barbara Keddy says:

Dear Kim: I am amazed at how many people have responded to this particular blog. It seems that dental pain is extremely common to people with fibromyalgia. I suspect it is because our sleep is so disruptive that we clench our teeth! I hope the newer blogs are helpful with regard to the nervous system, brain and pain! Thank you for your comments! Regards, Barbara

15. Theresa says:

I have just been formally diagnosed with fibromyalgia, after having gone through about 5 years of continuous dental pain and headaches, as well as 19 years of neck & shoulder pain (following an injury). The dental pain in my teeth and jaw started after having to undergo numerous dental procedures in a relatively short period of time. This included having wisdom teeth removed, and 3 root canals, as well as a mouth biopsy. The aching pain varies in intensity from mild to throbbing. All x-rays showed teeth were normal. However in the end, it was found there was a problem with the root canals, and 3 of the 4 — I’ve had extracted. The pain is still there, although less strong. At times, I have aching pain in all my teeth, which I think may be caused by nighttime (unconcious grinding). I had been given difference diagnoses (such as neuralgia) before the fibro. Now the doctors want to put me on medication to calm down the nervous system. My doctor keeps telling me “there is no cure”, which is disheartening. I want to thank you for your website, as it helps to know that there are others who can relate. Thank you. Theresa

16. barbara keddy says:

Dear Theresa:
    I am so sorry to hear of all your dental problems. It has astounded me how many comments there are regarding dental issues. I know exactly how you are feeling. We want/need to protect our teeth but it seems like the hyperarousal of our nervous systems is extremely aggravated by root canals. I have had several and seriously doubt I could have another.
    I also suffer from grinding my teeth and have sore jaws repeatedly. I massage my jaws every day but the pain persists. No doubt due to the troubled sleep I have.You are not alone!
    I wish you the very best wishes, Barbara

17. Jodi Stanton says:

I am so glad that all I had to do was type in “fibromyalgia and tooth pain” and find that I am not crazy. It seems that any dental work I have had in the last couple of years made things worse than they were. Almost a year ago I had a tooth that had grown in badly ground down and built up in preparation for a crown and immediately afterwards the pain got intense. This went on for a long time. Thursday I went in to have 2 cavities filled and i thought I would be fine. Today I find that ANYTHING that touches it, food, drink, toothpaste, oragel, hurts like someone’s cut my tooth open and is torturing the nerve. I can’t seem to stop it because it’s so deep and so bad. I take wonderful care of my teeth so all this oral pain and supposed decay doesn’t make sense. Now that I know FM can cause dental pain I am starting to think I am not so crazy.

18. Barbara Keddy says:

Dear Jodi: Indeed, you are NOT crazy! At first I wondered why so many people were writing leaving comments or an e mail about dental pain. Of course it makes sense! Where else are there so many nerves situated in such a delicate area than that where a dentist is working?Since fibro is the result of an overstimulated nervous system, it stands to reason that touching those nerves along with a general apprehension of the procedures would result in extreme hyperarousal of the entire nervous system! Dentists have to become more aware of fibromyalgia and the results of long procedures on us. Luckily for me, the School of Dentistry in the largest university in the province where I live has a very progressive dental faculty member who is offering a Mindfulness Meditation course for students and faculty. I have signed up for this course. Learning how to breathe and relax during dental procedures will certainly help somewhat. I hope that the pain has now subsided somewhat by now. Best wishes, Barbara

19. Lori says:

Hi Barbara,
    I enjoyed reading these posts. Thank you for telling me about your site. Occasionally we will see clients with chronic tooth pain that we just cannot figure out – the radiographs look fine, intra-orally things seem fine and we just can’t pinpoint what could be wrong. Very interesting. It’s true that most dentists don’t know much about FM which makes things even more difficult for someone living with it.
    Thanks again,
    Lori Simpson (registered dental hygienist)

20. barbara keddy says:

Wonderful comment from a professional, Lori! Thank you so much. Pass the info along to other dental professionals, please:-)

21. Karen says:

It looks like I am just another woman going through what so many of you have experienced! Mine started on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. Out of the blue, a tooth and the surrounding area on my right side would begin to throb with such intensity that I wanted to punch myself in the jaw! It would last for about 2-3 min, and just as quick as it came on it would go away. Every hour or so the same thing happened. The tooth that is hurting is one that has a deep filling. When I broke off a piece of the filling about 2 months ago, my husband (who is also my dentist) told me that if I had issues again with that tooth I was probably looking at a root canal. Last night around 7pm my tooth began to hurt again only this time it was not the throbbing as was before. If my top tooth touch (even barely) the bottom tooth, or if I touch it with my tongue it felt like someone wa stabbing me in the jaw. My husband was at a gig with his band, and when he called me on break I told him about the pain I was having. Needless to say, we will be leaving for the office in a few minutes to begin the root canal. I managed to sleep last night because the night guard that I sleep with kept my teeth from touching. I realize that having the root canal may cause a major flare up, but honestly dealing with this pain is causing fatigue as it is. My only option is having the tooth removed but that is not an option because it is close to the front on the bottom. Wish me luck!!

22. Barbara Keddy says:

My dear Karen: I wish you good luck indeed! I hope that you will let us all know how it turned out! I expect you are in the dental chair as I write this! I would never have believed the number of comments and emails I receive about dental pain. I keep thinking it is because we are so anxious, tense and hyper-vigilant in our sleep/half-sleep that we clench our jaws…maybe even during the day!Lucky you having a husband who is a dentist and understands fibromyalgia!
    Kind regards, Barbara

23. stefanie l. says:

Wow. Isn’t this disorder just a lovely, lovely pain in the bum? I have to say that I too am amazed by the shifting of my symptoms, as it is seemingly “something new” each and every day. Yes, as one uncomfortable pain or feeling subsides, another fills its nasty shoes! I don’t chalk every single ache and pain up to Fibro–but have learned to realize that most of my trouble most likely *is* FMS. Anway, I am having this problem at the moment: tooth pain. I also have ear pain and I am linking the two. I have seen my doctor for the ear pain and can safely say that they’ve ruled out infection. I do know that sometimes pain is referred…and that I clench my jawa, have TMJ, allergies…the whole nine. I take Vicodin for strong flares, but it isn’t touching the tooth pain. It’s almost like a general achiness, like the flu (but I know that I do not have the flu). Again- so lovely you are, Fibro! I can relate, sadly. Best wishes and loads of luck to all.

24. Barbara Keddy says:

WOW indeed, Stefanie: So many, many comments about dental pain. Furthermore, the pains just keep shifting arbitrarily. Today it has been on my left side of the back, a throbbing, stabbing pain. These are almost like spasms. Sometimes the pains are like electrical shocks. With regard to ear pain I have a sneaking belief that those of us with fibro end up having decreased hearing because of clenching our jaws and harming the auditory nerves?! What do you think? Clenching jaw at night, grinding teeth, tooth pain, then ear aches and finally nerve damage? Hmmm… I wonder? Your thoughts?Thanks for the interesting comments.

25. Linda Burt says:

I was diagnosed with this unforgiving disease about 2 years ago. It felt as though my entire body was a solid bruise from being beat with a bat. I truly did not want to get out of the bed in the morning because I feared the pain it would cause when my feet hit the floor. I hurt so badly, that I was forced to take off work for 4 months until I could get control over the pain. At first my pain was literally all over my body and the inflammation caused a tremendous amount of swelling (again, all over, but especially my legs, feet and hands). Then I found Lyrica. Lyrica has not cured it, but it sure has made this disease more toberable. On another note, I recently starting having this excruitating tooth pain, without any warning or cause, on a tooth that I knew had a root canal and a post put in it. Just before going to the dentist, I thought to myself that if fibromyalgia can cause such terrible pain in my right knee that I thought I had torn my menicus, and then go away, then why can’t it cause tooth pain. And then I found this website. Thank you so much for sharing this information about tooth pain. I now believe that is what is happening to me right now and understanding that, hopefully will learn to deal with it.

26. Barbara Keddy says:

Hi Linda: Just recently I had tooth pain for 2 days. Still, after knowing what I know about dental issues and fibromyalgia I kept thinking I would need to see my dentist if it didn’t let up. It DID stop. That is the worst thing about these worries when something new crops up…is it fibromyalgia or something else!? Still, it always helps to read comments such as yours to help me put things in perspective again! Thanks! Barbara

27. DEBBIE ANDERSON says:

I HAVE HAD FIRBROMYANGIA FOR 15 YEARS OR MORE. I WAS NOT DIAGNOSED FOR YEARS.
    AFTER HAVING PAIN ALL OVER MY BODY, I WAS VERY CONFUSED WHEN MY UPPER TEETH
    BEGAN TO HURT. THE PAIN WAS A BLINDING PAIN THAT I COULD HARDLY STAND IT.
    IT WOULD SEND ME LOOKING FOR SOME TYPE OF PAIN KILLER.
    AFTER MY DENTIST GAVE ME A CLEANING, X-RAYS AND AND A THROUGH CHECKUP, HE COULD NOT FIND ANY REASON FOR ANY PAIN.
    IT WAS MY HUSBAND WHO ASKED ME IF THERE WAS A CHANCE THAT MY TEETH PAIN WAS COMING FROM MY FIBROMYALGIA. I WAS VERY RELIEVED TO READ YOUR INFORMATION.
    I AM CALMED DOWN AND KNOW THAT MY TEETH PAIN WILL LEAVE AS MYSTERIOUSLY AS
    IT ARRIVED. THE FEAR OF UNCERTAINTY CAN BE ELIMINATED WITH CORRECT INFO.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFORMATION. BY THE WAY, LYRICA HAS BEEN A GOD SEND.

28. Karen Secara says:

Hi. My name is Karen and I have fibromyalgia. Recently, I had an old filling taken out, at the encouragement of my dentist, and a new white filling put in it’s place. That’s what lead my to pain, pain, and more pain. My FMS was 90% in remisssion but started coming back. I thought it was just the stress of having the filling done (I’m also diabetic). So when my doctor suggested a root canal I thought ok (my husband had recently had one and it relieved his pain). Well, 3 root canals and 3 months later I’m still in pain and I come across this site. WOW. I’m looking ast my pain in a w2hole new light. The FMS is now in my mouth. At least now, I will have no further work done on my mouth until I can attempt to get my health back. Previously, I was off of all sugar, flour, and processed foods. I walked 2-4 miles a day and I was feeling great. I’m going to try going back to this and see if this works. It’s good to know I’m not alone or out of my mind. I feel for all of you that are also experiencing this. I find the only way to make me better is to communicate with my loved ones and have them help me as much as possible. Thanks.

29. Barbara Keddy says:

Thanks for you comments Karen! Going off all sugar, white flour and processed food is an excellent idea. I believe all 3 irritate those of us with fibromyalgia! You are fortunate to have supportive loved ones. Best wishes, Barbara

30. Barbara Keddy says:

Hi Debbie: Fifteen years of living with fibromyalgia is indeed a long time and you’re right living with uncertainty is dreadful! At least now you understand your body and its reaction to stress or unusual circumstances.I keep asking myself almost daily:is this fibro or something else? Then it becomes a process of working through what caused the flare-up or ‘different’ symptom. I apprecaite your comments, Kind regards, Barbara

31. sara says:

wow am so glad found this site..i have had 3 white fillings recently and all have played up to the point where one needs root canal. I also think my bite has changed and is causing me to nightime clench causing tmj symptoms. i will look into fibro more as i’ve never been diagnosed with it.

32. Barbara Keddy says:

Hi Sara: If you only clench your teeth at night then I would be wary of diagnosing yourself as having fibromyalgia. There are other ‘symptoms’ that need exploring with a physician before thinking you have fibromyalgia. Thank you for commenting on my site. Best wishes, Barbara

33. sara says:

sorry barbara wasn’t saying i have fibro just that i can assosiate with all the posts i have diabetes type 1 too and also suffer from unexplained pains, tiredness, depression etc but have never been diagnosed. and now the fillings taking so long to settle..at least i know i’m not alone with dental pain taking a long time to heal

34. Alison says:

Hi everybody. I’m not sure if I have FMS or not. Once in awhile my teeth ache for no reason, I get the ear aches and the headaches, muscle ache in my right arm…nothing seems to help the aching teeth. I’ve tryed Tylenol, and sinus meds…anyone?

35. Barbara Keddy says:

Hi Alison: No one reading these blogs can really tell you if you have fibromyalgia or not. You must give your physician a complete picture of your symptoms. Even then though it may at first be a vague diagnosis, not definite, and you would feel dissatisfied, but you can begin to do your own research on the topic. Good luck with talking to your doctor about these symptoms! Regards, Barbara

36. donna sommerville says:

going through this awful pain after a root canal. I knew it wasn'”normal” andthe dentist is totally clueless! So I started researching the fibro connection since it involves nerve s and ligaments. And here we are! There seems to be no end to this nightmare.

37. Debby says:

I was diagnosed with Fibro years ago. I’ve always had tooth pain to some extent. Not severe but annoying. It’s always been like a sinus toothache along with facial pain. I’ve had a major toothache now for 3 days that is just unbearable! It’s on a different tooth today than before. It feels like my tooth is bruised. It hurts only around the outside and not the gums. It radiates to my ear as well. I can’t eat because if I put my teeth together…OUCH!! I’ve been taking Ultram, which does nothing. I’ve tried every home remedy known to man….NOTHING!!
    I think it would be a waste of money to go to the dentist. Not that I could afford it anyway. With my Fibro as bad as it is, I’m not working and have no insurance. I just can’t stand this pain any longer.

38. Barbara Keddy says:

Oh Debby: I don’t think you can assume that it is the fibro every time. If at all possible you should have it checked out in case it is something more serious. I do understand how desperate you are about money though and can appreciate that you might be hesitant to go. I am so sorry for your pain. Thinking about you, Barbara

39. Beccie says:

Hi my fellow sufferers. I was lucky enough to be in PA when diagnosed with Fibro. The state was very helpful in getting me free medical. If I were any of you that does not have insurance to check with your state and keep fighting till you can get some gov. help. PA gave me disability, it did take 2 times because you get a denial on the first attempt. But, they did give me a free lawyer to help me. By the time he did all his work and I got the appt. to see the judge, I GOT MY DISABILITY. There are certain doctors you can see, dental wasn’t one of them, however if you check with your area dentists, there may be some that have a plan that is governmental and you get 12 monts no interest and you can take advantage of this and at the very least get x-rays to find out if you have any bad teeth or an infection. Today I am finishing up my second prescription of antibiotics to get rid of the infection in my right molar with a crown. My crowns and root canals still hurt from years ago. the nerves are at every point in my mouth and they cause pain if touched. Getting my teeth cleaned or worked on is excruciating, because of the cold air on my teeth. This alone can cause pain for weeks. then you have your mouth open while they are doing the work and the jaws will hurt for a long time as well. Then you have the needles going into your mouth. These needle points give a lot of pain afterwords too. I do have a formula for regular muscle pain that can be used on the outside of your mouth that helps with the pain. It has to be massaged in, but, if you have a loved one that is in this together with you, just the touch of another human being can take some of that pain away as well. I have suffered with Fibro and all it’s ugly symptoms for more than 1/2 of my life. It sometimes sucks to be me, as I would guess if feels that way to you too. I think the hardest part of all of this is getting your doctor and loved one to understand that Fibro is not like other diseases. You can’t see it, you really can’t explain it, and people will tell you “you look good to me, are you really sick?” Or something like that, or tell you it is all in your head, because they can’t find anything in the normal tests. I am fortunate enough to have a wife that can see what Fibro has done to me and she is there to help with the massage or help me make my appts and go with me. The best thing you can do for yourself is to find someone who understands and doesn’t hold you responsible to get things done, chores and such, and make you feel bad when you can’t get out of bed. God bless you all and may you find something that works for you. Beccie

40. Barbara Keddy says:

Good for you Beccie: So happy you were successful in PA. These insurance issues are so difficult when one has an invisible condition. Hope your story is an inspiration to others. Keep in touch, Regards, Barbara

41. Beccie says:

Thank you Babara, Hey I was wondering, I have been having dental problems and have seen the dentist and an endodontist, I also have an appt in july to see another endo. My question though is this, have you or anyone ever had a black tongue. Now I have been reading on this a little and have found that Pepto can cause that, do you have any ideas about the black tongue. I don’t take pepto, YUK… Thanks in advance B

42. Terri says:

Omg. I can’t believe i found all of you. I, too, believe i have had fibro since i was a teen but didn’t know about the dental connection. I have cuts “slits” on my tongue that limit food choices as well as a recent allergy to dairy milk.

43. crystal carrier says:

I’m so relived to find this site and all of you who have Fibromyalgia. I have been diagnosed with this disease for the last 8 years and last year I had horrible teeth problems which resulted in four root canals and root canal surgery three of my front teeth. It was so horrible since I came un numb during the procedure. And had a horrible time recovering from this. It crazy to think that fibro can cause such severe pain in your teeth. I do know that Lyrica can help teeth pain when I have had flare Ups it’s helped!

44. Barbara Keddy says:

Dear Crystal: You are among many who suffer after a root canal. Please do not despair and try some of the strategies I suggest elsewhere regarding meditation and light exercise. Best wishes,

45. Carole says:

I’m so glad to find this website…I have been having severe pain in my bottom teeth and then my lips started to burn like they were sunburned. I went to my dentist and had X-ray after X-ray and she couldn’t find a thing wrong. I have always taken good care of my teeth, so I went to a specialist, who also took X-rays, making my dental bill into the national debt. He couldn’t find anything wrong, either, so they both thought I was nutty. I finally went to a therapist who told me that I have a neurological condition, I guess she means FM….she recommended that I take Neuronton for the pain, but after taking about three of them, I can’t urinate or have bowel movements anymore, and my memory is terrible. Finally, I took Amoxicillin and it all went away for three months, but, unfortunately, is back now. Have any of you tried a simple antibiotic for the pain. My new dentist said I can stay on low doses of it for the rest of my life if it helps. Just curious to see if it helps anyone else.

46. Barbara Keddy says:

Dear Carole: You did not mention that you have fibromyalgia so I am assuming that you do!I would check with my doctor if I were you as the idea of taking an antibiotic for the rest of your life seems rather dramatic to me!? Anyone else heard of this kind of treatment for unexplained dental pain? Best wishes, Barbara

47. Brooks Devillez says:

Stiff neck is mostly caused by prolonged stress on the neck. taking periodic breaks is known to prevent stiff necks. .

48. Nell Trent says:

I have fibro and had a root canal about a month and 1/2 ago. I have had 2 endodontists say it is “solid.” I asked one of these endodontists if fibromyalgia could cause healing to be longer- He said – OH yes- about twice as long. Try to give it a month- If you can’t we can redo it (a DENTIST did this root canal- not the endodontist). Redoing it- will cost a lot. I would just have it pulled b/c it still hurts. Causes my face to hurt sometimes. It’s not been great at all. I’m going try a month- to see if he is correct- b/c this is beside my front bicuspid- (pointed tooth) — and everyone will be able to tell I’m missing a tooth. We can’t afford a bridge right now- SO I suffer. To others w/ fibro, if you have a back tooth that needs a root canal– talk to your dentist and doctor maybe- before you have this done. I’m not sure how many have the same problem that I’ve had- but I have ear ringing now- and other problems. I can’t take anymore NSAIDS. The endo I saw y’day- said stop the anti-biotic. THANK THE LORD FOR THIS!!! BEEN ON IT off and on since this tooth was done. Going to try and wait the month out- b/c if he does it over- and I have to have the medication packed up there for a MONTH- I will be one sick puppy. – and WHAT IF IT FAILS?? In a total bind. Wish I could pull it and have a bridge (removable) put in- but who’s to say- that will fix what’s happening. Looking for another DENTIST now- to check out all my tooth and again LOOK at this root canal.

49. Brittani Goldenman says:

A stiff neck can be caused by something as simple as sleeping with too many pillows behind your head. The unnatural angle throws your spine out of alignment, and strains the surrounding muscles, causing stiffness and pain. To avoid waking up with a stiff neck, make sure you sleep with only one pillow, and you may want to consider investing in a cervical support pillow to help ensure proper and healthy spinal alignment when you sleep.”

50. Albert Begum says:

Neuromuscular Dentistry will help alleviate TMJ symptoms such as headaches, neck and shoulder pain, jaw pain, clicking or popping in the jaw, and tinnitus (ringing within the ears). The majority of North Americans suffer from a number of of such symptoms, and unfortunately oftentimes these patients’ symptoms are either misdiagnosed or dismissed as having no physiological cause. In a number of cases, signs can in fact be related to TMJ, also referred to as Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction. These terms are simply different names for the same group of symptoms. ;